Sunday, February 27, 2011

Job Satisfaction - Real or Imaginary?



I have been fortunate enough to know the wonderful Gail Chandler, APR, for some time now. Mrs. Chandler has been a strong supporter of the SMU PRSSA chapter and has served as our Professional Advisor for the last two years. In fact, Mrs. Chandler even won the Dr. Frederick H. Teahan Chapter Award for Outstanding Professional Advisor this past year at the PRSSA National Conference.


Mrs. Chandler’s visit to our classroom was extremely pleasant. Her usual congenial demeanor and her passion for Texas Instruments left me with a heartwarming feeling when all was said and done. She started out by telling us how she got the “best job in the world” and how we can find jobs that will be perfect for us as well. However, the one thing that stuck with me from Mrs. Chandler’s lecture was her outlook on job satisfaction. “Life is too short to work somewhere that you don’t like,” she said.


The reason that this line stuck with me is that every speaker thus far has loved what he or she does. Deanna McKinley from Frito-Lay claimed that she has the best job in the world, as did Ken Fairchild and now Mrs. Chandler. As cheesy as this sounds, when they spoke about their organizations or their occupation, they had an aura of gratification and contentment around them. It was a testimonial to seniors, such as myself, who are scared about our first “real” jobs that job satisfaction is not just a pigment of our imagination – it truly exists.


Additionally, as a strong advocate of PRSSA myself, I appreciated Mrs. Chandler’s push for PRSA and PRSSA by telling us her stories about how these organizations have helped her succeed in her career. Thank you, Mrs. Chandler, for being such a promoter of our PRSSA chapter!


P.S. I just couldn't help myself when I saw this cartoon... It definitely pertains to Mrs. Chandler's point of retaining employees via job satisfaction.

1 comment:

  1. Good cartoon. And I agree with her quote: “Life is too short to work somewhere that you don’t like."

    ReplyDelete